[TN-Bird] Re: TN Bird Book

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:37:30 EDT

July 8, 2005

Birds of Tennessee - field guide by Stan Tekiela

These are small under pocket sized guides that Adventure  Publications is
putting together for each state. I don't think they will be  jumping off the
shelf into the hands of birders. Some really  nice photos but birds are listed
by
color, one page photo and one page text  per species, cookie cutter info in
front but there are only 119 species  total??

I was approached by them to look over the maps they were going to use. They
sent me the maps and a sample copy of the Pennsylvania Guide. I immediately
found that the Black Duck they had in that book was a Mottled Duck, which they
first told me I must be wrong but then after a while admitted the mistake.
The  maps sent were redone and they were pretty fair sized but in the book they

really much too small to show any detail and some were printed without my
changes.

If they are selling real big then it is not to birders but they might start
someone along their way;o)

Good  Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA