[TN-Bird] Swainson's Warbler & etc. Henry Co.

  • From: <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:04:45 -0500

4/17/03
Henry Co. (within 15 miles of McKenzie)

I spent 2.5 hours out this morning, checking some local spots. Conditions were
cool and overcast, but the best birding day of the spring for me so far. I had
13 first-of-season species, and my 1st 15 warbler species day. From 8:30 to
11:00 I had 71 species with no ducks or shorebirds other than Killdeer. It was
a birdy day in the woods and fields around here!

My FOS birds were:

E. Kingbird (1)
House Wren  (3 singing around my neighborhood)
Blue-headed Vireo (1)
Blue-winged Warbler (2)
Yellow Warbler (1)
Prairie Warbler (many- as many Prairies encountered as Parulas, we have great
Prairie habitat here)
Swainson's Warbler (the main reason I got out this morning was to check my
local spot for the past 3 years, he was singing away)
Kentucky Warbler  (several)
Hooded Warbler  (several)
Summer Tanager (3)
Scarlet Tanager (1)
Indigo Bunting (several)
Orchard Oriole (1)

The list of warblers is as follows (includes species listed above):

Blue-winged Warbler (2)
N. Parula (everywhere)
Yellow Warbler  (1)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (everywhere)
Black-throated Green Warbler (2)
Yellow-throated Warbler  (several)
Pine Warbler (several)
Prairie Warbler (everywhere in appropriate habitat)
Black-and-white Warbler (1)
Prothonotary Warbler (2- wasn't in much good habitat for Prothonotaries)
Swainson's Warbler (1 singing)
Louisiana Waterthrush (several)
Kentucky Warbler (several)
Common Yellowthroat (several)
Hooded Warbler  (several)

Vireos were well represented with several Red-eyed and Yellow-throated Vireos
to go along with the one Blue-headed and seemingly everywhere White-eyed.

Still pretty much stumped on Thrushes and Flycatchers though!

Good birding!!!!

Mike Todd
McKenzie, TN
Carroll Co.