[tn-bird] Swainson?s Thrush Convention

  • From: Leigh Loveday <lkloveday@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Oct 2002 10:57:09 -0700 (PDT)

Last evening (4) Swainson?s Thrushes met up with each other to
party & feast on Dogwood berries in our North Knoxville yard. A
Wood Thrush joined in the fun for good measure. All were quiet,
so we didn't have to call the law on them.  A male & female
Scarlet Tanager have been hitting the berries hard as well the
last few days.  The Swainson?s Thrushes have been regulars the
past few weeks.

A lone Ruby-throated hummingbird was seen last evening. A female
pair hung around until day before yesterday.

Other birds seen in the ?hood the recently:

Rose-breasted grosbeaks, American Redstarts,  Black-throated
green,  Magnolia?s, Canada, a female hooded, & best of all, a
female Wilson?s warbler.

We are now at 74 on our yard bird list (good by our standards,
but a far cry from Dean Edward?s lofty three digit amount).

Cove Lake this past Sunday had 1 Kentucky Warbler,  3 DC
Cormorants, 1 Osprey, 1 Pied-billed Grebe, 5 Am Coots, a molting
Mute Swan, 2 Great Egrets, 1 Osprey, 1 GB Heron, 1 Bellted
Kingfisher, dozens of Cedar Waxwings & Am Goldfinches, and? yes
you guessed it,  a Swainson?s Thrush.

On the campground side, a bird we stalked for in the lakeside
pines for quite awhile seemed to be a yellow-throated vireo as
best we could tell (but I wouldn?t bet the homestead on it).

Robert & Leigh Loveday
Knoxville, TN