[TN-Bird] Surf Scoter - Union County

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2015 14:53:05 -0500

TN-birders,

Dollyann and I went to the Eagle Bend fish hatchery this morning to see if
anything was around. Mostly, it wasn’t. There is a flock of 26 Ring-necked
Ducks in the upper pond but little else.

Since we were out that way anyhow, we decided to check out the Waterside
marina, which is just barely into Union County, off highway 61 at the
easternmost edge of Anderson Co. When we got to where we could see the water
and marina we found a huge raft of diving ducks. Mixed in with them was a lone
Surf Scoter. The rest of the flock consisted of:

Redheads – 265
Canvasback – 25
Greater Scaup – 29 (probably a few more but difficult to count while they were
diving)
Lesser Scaup – 16
American Coot – lots
Bald Eagle – 1 immature flying around the area.

Views are pretty close to where you can park. Just be mindful that this is a
resort and stay off to the side as much as possible. Having said that, activity
is low at this time of the year.

Great birding,

Ron Hoff and Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN