[TN-Bird] Spotted Sandpiper at Woods Reservoir

  • From: Jeannie Swant <jswant@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2012 00:42:38 +0000

Took advantage of the beautiful day on Saturday to give the boat a little
exercise on Woods Reservoir in Franklin Co.  Our first stop was the old rec
beach (Gossick Leadership Center) where we flushed a dozen Mallards among the
Canada Geese, who were indifferent to us.  Scanning the beach we were not
disappointed to see our Spotted Sandpiper exercising his butt while foraging
down the beach!  We've found a Spotted Sandpiper for several consecutive
winters at this location.

We are wondering if the Spotted Sandpiper at Kingston Springs also continues
this winter and how common, in general, over-wintering Spotted Sandpipers in
Middle TN are becoming?

Common Loons and Horned Grebes seem to be in much smaller numbers than in
previous winters - maybe its still early.

Also noted on our trip was an adult Bald Eagle perched beautifully in the sun
on the North shore.

Dale and Jeannie Swant
Manchester, TN