[TN-Bird] Species count for 100-year TOS meeting field trips

  • From: Tony Lance <tonylance@xxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 May 2015 07:01:02 -0500

The 100-year anniversary TOS meeting at Montgomery Bell State Park featured a
wide variety of field trips. A number of our walks took place at the park
itself, yielding a good tally of species expected in a forest habitat. On
Saturday and Sunday we ventured farther afield to a variety of mid-state
locales such as Mound Bottoms, Bicentennial Trail/Dyson's Ditch, Narrows of the
Harpeth, Ft. Campbell, and the Duck River, and those outings brought our count
up considerably.

Our total species count for the weekend was 132 (list below), including 27
species of warblers and 11 sparrow species. Among the highlights were Bachman's
Sparrow (Ft. Campbell), Henslow's Sparrow (Ft. Campbell), Grasshopper Sparrow
(Ft. Campbell), Glossy Ibis (Duck River), Sora (Duck River), and White-rumped
Sandpiper (Duck River). Additionally, participants on the Mound Bottoms walk
were treated to a young Woodcock, while those on the park's Lake Loop on Sunday
got up close looks at a Great Horned Owl.

Thanks to all the field trip leaders and participants for making the weekend
excursions memorable and productive!

Tony Lance

TOS 100-year Anniversary Meeting Species list:

Canada Goose

Wood Duck

Mallard

Blue-winged Teal