[TN-Bird] Something Finchy Going on

  • From: Charlie <cmmbirds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:07:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi Folks,

If you include NORTHERN CARDINAL, we had 5 species of finches at our
house in south Blount County yesterday...

Tracey and I have been very happy all through January, February and
so far into March, to have PURPLE FINCHES.  Though we've not seen
more than 7 at a time, we have had them every single day in which
we've been able to look during daylight - though the last few days
we've seen as few as 3.

AMERICAN GOLDFINCHES are increasing in number - up to 40 at a time,
and usually about 20.  A few have done a lot of molting in the last
week, and we're having fun seeing the very varied molt pattens.  One
male had a complete head and nothing else.  Some have bright yellow
bellies and olive backs.  Others seem to have all but the wings and
head.

HOUSE FINCHES have returned after being away most of the winter.  We
have been seeing 2-3 a day.  It is almost pleasing to see and hear
these guys, when they are not out-eating and chasing off all the
other birds, as has usually been my experience with them.

And I saved the best for last:  yesterday we had 2 or maybe 3 PINE
SISKINS at our feeder.  We've only had them a handful of times, and
up until now always associated with snowfall in the area.

In other signs of spring, the Spring Peepers have overtaken the
Chorus Frogs in numbers singing.  At Tremont, in Great Smoky
Mountains National Park the Wood Frog tadpoles have all hatched in
the small ditch behind the dorm, and are providing entertainment for
the students who visit here.  Spring wildflowers now include
Cinqufoil, Halbard-leaved Violets and Trout Lily.  Trailing Arbutus
is blooming in the biggest numbers I've seen in my 3 springs here.

Birds at Tremont who have been carrying nesting material include
Eastern Phoebe, American Crow, American Robin.  The regular
appearance of Belted Kingfishers leads me to hope that they return as
a breeder in the valley - we do not believe they bred here the last 2
seasons.

Good birding!

Charlie

=====