[TN-Bird] Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch 9/26/03

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:02:33 EDT

The following is a message from Bill Haley to the Soddy Mountain hawk watcher
voulunteers:

"Rain predicted most of the day, but skies were partly cloudy. Jim Rowell
arrived at 8:00am, Harold Birch and Jimmy Wilkerson at 10:45 and I got there at
11:15. When our first bird of the day was a low-flying Peregrine Falcon and
then we saw two more in the next 25 minutes, we knew it is going to be an
interesting day! One at 11:35, then one at 11:51 and 12:00 noon. Broad-wings
were
scattered throughout the day and we ended with 39. Another big highlight was a
very quick little Merlin which took evasive action in an attempt to limit
"binocular burn". (Luckily Roi got back on him as he barreled down the valley
south
of us). One Sharp-shin, 1 unidentified accipiter, and an unidentified raptor
rounded out today's total. A truly black cloud and torrential rain descended on
the lookout at 2:05pm to end the flight.

Jimmy and I waited out the torrential rain in hopes of some clearing (and
possibly another Peregrine) afterwards. We returned to the lookout at 3:15 and
there was actually some blue sky to our west. The temperature had dropped 14
degrees and we were actually getting some light NW winds, but for the most
part,
it looked like the clouds were there to stay. Unfortunately we didn't see
another hawk before we left around 4:20. Oh, well. Tomorrow promises better!!!

This follows a 3 Peregrine, 3 Bald Eagle, 203 Broad-wing, 2 Sharpie, 2
Cooper's, 1 Kestrel day yesterday. Hard to top something like that, but we
tried.

Bill Haley"

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, TN