[tn-bird] Soddy Mountain Hawk Watch

  • From: JimmWilkerson@xxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2002 00:47:23 EDT

  This year we are most likely off to the slowest hawk season in the past 10
years.  It has rained daily and there has been almost 100% cloud cover since
last Tuesday Sept.17th.  While our total number of species seen has been
average or above the total number of Broad-wings are off by approximately a
1,000.

  Sunday, Monday and Tuesday all this could change and it is highly
anticipated it will.  Weather forecasts are very promising.  One of these
three days our 1,000 decefit could disappear and put us back on the plus side.

  If you live in Chattanooga or will be passing through the area try and stop
by.  All of the hawk watch volunteers are as excited as a kid on the day
before Christmas...
A-N-T-I-C-I-P-A-T-I-O-N !

  I have both an early morning and late afternoon appointment with my
cartiologist on Monday the 23 rd.  Any takers on which day will be the one
the largest bulk of migrants will pass through?  Don't feel to sorry for me.
On Friday the thirteenth I was the lone hawk watcher (Bill Haley had left
about 37 minutes earlier) when my presence was graced by the spectacular
appearance of a single Dark Morph Broad-winged Hawk.  This anomaly usually
occurs in only one of fifty thousand sightings!

Let's go hawk watching,

Jimmy Wilkerson
Hixson, Tn.
Cell number 423-593-5455