[TN-Bird] Snow Goose/Campbell County, TN- Eagles

  • From: Jimi Moore <jimimoore@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:38:28 -0500

1-20-2003

     I observed a Blue Phase Snow Goose this morning at Cove Lake State
Pk,
Campbell County, TN  N. of Knoxville. This was the first Blue I have seen
here.

     2 adult BALD EAGLES have also been present since Jan 14th. Yesterday
they were sitting out on the ice and snow  with a great "Alaskan" look
about the whole scene. Of interest to me was their standing on the ice
BESIDE a small pool of water containing a few Coot and Mallards as well
as  4-5 Canada Geese. I suppose there was such low temperatures the past
few days that they had all called a truce and were probably feeding on
the frozen fish available from the recent draining of the lake. They are
most active in the morning. In the afternoon from the park you should
look back towards the interstate where they are usually perching in the
tree line. (The lighting is horrible in the afternoons in that direction,
so I recommend mornings if you look for them)

Also present this morn were 8 Black Ducks.

Nell Moore
jimimoore@xxxxxxxx
Caryville, TN
CampbellCounty, TN