[TN-Bird] Smokies - Mt Cammerer - 10/15

  • From: "Shane H. Williams" <shanehwilliams@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Tennessee Bird List" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2011 19:24:29 -0400

Today a friend and I hiked up to Mt. Cammerer (GSMNP) starting from the Cosby
campground area. I didn't have my binos with me but I managed to ID a few
birds. The views up there are the best I've seen in the park but the lookout
tower was a little crowded today. The lower end had some tall beautiful Hemlock
and Poplar trees and probably the biggest Sugar Maple I've ever seen.

Low Gap Tr.  -  Appalachian Tr. -  Mt. Cammerer Tr.
elev. ~2200' - 4928'
8:45 - 4:20 :

Tennessee warbler - 3 (campground)
Black-throated blue warbler - 1
Bay-breasted warbler - 1 (FOS)
Blue-headed vireo - 3 heard
Black-capped chickadee - 2-3 heard
Dark-eyed junco - 4
Yellow-bellied sapsucker - 1
Pileated woodpecker - 1 heard

There were numerous birds flying around above the lookout tower area but I
couldn't make out what they were. Some may have been Chimney Swifts.

Shane Williams
Knoxville, TN