[TN-Bird] Sightings report 3-6 April, Ensley Bottoms, Memphis, Shelby County

  • From: "John Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Rob Peeples" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <ArmacostJ@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 00:31:32 -0500

Sightings report 3-6 April, Ensley Bottoms, Memphis, Shelby County
Spending more time at the pits when ever I can break away for lunch or late
in the day. Lots of birds coming in, especially with the cold front pushing
through. To those coming into the Pits, the normal levees we drive on are
blocked lately due to pumping ops, look ahead down the levees or be prepared
to back up a long distance. There are also some deep muddy areas on the
backside exit trail leaving Pit #5. Birds are in almost every body of water
from the ditches to the puddles of the tailings to the small and big
lagoons.

 Also please check out OLCOOTS postings because I'm not seeing everything on
my short visits.

Location:     TN 2 Mem, TE Maxwell Lagoons Observation date:
4/3/07,1115am-1220pm

Notes:     Lunch time rundown at the pits. Tough wind coming out of the SW.
Most of the birds were low to the ground and resting. No Blk-necked stilts
today. Birded only the West side tailings puddles today. (The Saturn doesn't
handle the levees well especially when wet/muddy)

Number of species:     12

Canada Goose     45

Mallard     7

Blue-winged Teal     2

Northern Shoveler     47

Killdeer     27

Lesser Yellowlegs     3

Least Sandpiper     17

Pectoral Sandpiper     6

Wilson's Snipe     1

Mourning Dove     9

Savannah Sparrow     7

Red-winged Blackbird     19

Location:     TN 2 Mem,TVA PONDS,Observation date: 4/3/07,1220-1235pm

Notes:     Fewer and fewer birds on the ponds every day. No Herons at all.

Number of species:     9

Gadwall     2

Lesser Scaup     32

American Coot     52

Killdeer     1

Mourning Dove     14

Barn Swallow     2

European Starling     27

Red-winged Blackbird     7

Brown-headed Cowbird     2

Location:     TN 2 Mem, TE Maxwell Lagoons,Observation date:4/5/07,
1240-115pm

Notes:  Short lunch time run through the pits only around the tailings
puddles since short on time. Lots of shovelers out in the open water today,
Mallard numbers down and the BW Teal must be over in the big lagoon.

Number of species:     11

Canada Goose     40

Mallard     4

Northern Shoveler     52

Northern Harrier     1

Killdeer     27

Lesser Yellowlegs     4

Solitary Sandpiper     3

Least Sandpiper     17

Pectoral Sandpiper     12

Chimney Swift     5

Barn Swallow     6

Location:     TN 2 Mem, TE Maxwell Lagoons,Observation date: 4/6/07,
415-615pm

Notes:     Whoa nelly turn the wind off and turn up the heat. Our little
cold front seems to have dropped alot of birds down onto the pits 4 & 5. The
smaller inland bodies of water are holding alot of yellow legs in the grass.
Flushed 5 W. Snipe today from the sides of the levees and ditches, they just
won't let me get close enough for a picture after the first flush though.
Seems like a small flock has taken over the small ditch's between the levees
these last few days. My count of Least,Pects and Yellow Legs may be off some
because Part of the levee to pond #5 was blocked off due to pumping ops.

Number of species:     20

Canada Goose     32

Mallard     9

Blue-winged Teal     42

Northern Shoveler     49

Northern Bobwhite     1 (flushed from in the high grass near the drying
fields)

Double-crested Cormorant     1

Northern Harrier     1 (Hunting the fields of the earth complex)

Killdeer     75+

Black-necked Stilt     5 (4 in the big lagoon and the other by self in the
3rd inland pond)

Greater Yellowlegs     15

Lesser Yellowlegs     70+

Solitary Sandpiper     9

Least Sandpiper     300+

Pectoral Sandpiper     150+

Wilson's Snipe     5

Mourning Dove     7

European Starling     50

Savannah Sparrow     7 (LBJ's all over the levees)

Red-winged Blackbird     100

Common Grackle     21

John "Jay" Walko

Collierville, Tn