[TN-Bird] Sightings Report, Thurs 1 May 2014, The Pits, Memphis, Shelby County

  • From: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dick Preston <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Scott Somershoe <ssomershoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 00:01:49 -0500

Ensley Bottoms, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex, Shelby, US-TN
May 1, 2014 5:00 PM - 7:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Evening run down to the pits on a bright/clear afternoon 67 dgs
slight breeze, levees dry, lots of water in the pits.
37 species
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  65     Scattered all over.
Greater White-fronted Goose  2     2 of the 4 birds that were here a couple
weeks ago still here, the other two may have been down behind the levee that I
couldn't get to.
Canada Goose  37     Several goslings following parents.
Mallard  14
Blue-winged Teal  150     Everywhere and in good numbers, very skittish again
today, look at them and whoosh off they go.
Northern Shoveler  17
Northern Bobwhite  3     Heard one in the central area and flushed two on a
high grass levee in the back.
Sora  2     Look around the reeds and tall grasses near the water.
American Coot  13
Black-necked Stilt  41     Mostly all paired up. several sitting on nests away
from levees.
Killdeer  8
Spotted Sandpiper  7
Solitary Sandpiper  51     Every body of water had one or more the back of #5
had several always mixing it up with a Yellow legs for company.
Lesser Yellowlegs  97     scattered everywhere
Stilt Sandpiper  4
Least Sandpiper  38     One good size group in a wet muddy area near the spread
fields.
Pectoral Sandpiper  9
Short-billed Dowitcher  1
Wilson's Phalarope  48     33 seen in one of the SW finger ponds, the rest were
mostly spread out with the other shorebirds everywhere. this is the most I've
seen on one occasion here.
Mourning Dove  12
Common Nighthawk  2
Eastern Kingbird  1
Carolina Wren  1     Hanging out with the Wht Crn Sparrows at the Maint yard.
Brown Thrasher  1
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  27
Field Sparrow  2
Savannah Sparrow  16
Lincoln's Sparrow  2     Down around the trail leading to the RR Tracks & power
lines at the south end.
White-crowned Sparrow  16
Northern Cardinal  3
Blue Grosbeak  2
Indigo Bunting  7
Dickcissel  9
Red-winged Blackbird  100     Everywhere, I stopped counting.
Eastern Meadowlark  3
Common Grackle  2

View this checklist online at
John "Jay" Walko