[TN-Bird] Re: Sightings Report, Saturday, 30 August 2014, Ensley Bottoms Environs, Memphis, Shelby County, Delta Windbirds Fall Shorebird Workshop

  • From: birder1 <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Georges McNeil <mcneilg20@xxxxxxxxx>, Martha Waldron <martha.waldron@xxxxxxxxx>, Rob Harbin <pastor.flc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Gaynell Perry <gcperry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Dick Preston <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2014 23:54:46 -0500

A couple of additions after everyone left. Though I never saw the juvenile
Baird's I saw early in the morning again, I had a nice alternate adult in the
big mass of birds in the last pit along the central levee. A very motley
transitional adult Sanderling was here as well, always a scarce bird in the
environs of the Pits.

A brief run to Mud Island produced nothing of note other than a single Black
Tern among the numerous Swifts and swallows. The wires at the last parking lot
had numerous swallows (the area Jeff twice had Cave Swallows), but 99%
Rough-winged.

Enjoyable day in the field, great to see some old friends and meet some new
ones!

Mike Todd
McKenzie,  TN
Birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.pbase.com/mctodd

<walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> </div><div>Date:08/30/2014  10:48 PM  (GMT-06:00)
McNeil <mcneilg20@xxxxxxxxx>,Martha Waldron <martha.waldron@xxxxxxxxx>,Mike
Todd <birder1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Rob Harbin <pastor.flc@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Gaynell Perry
<gcperry1@xxxxxxxxxxx>,Dick Preston <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Environs, Memphis, Shelby County, Delta Windbirds Fall Shorebird Workshop
birding in the rain. Birds were not in short supply, as we had 15 shorebird
species total. Below is a complete listing.

Ensley Bottoms, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex, Shelby, US-TN
Aug 30, 2014 7:40 AM - 1:40 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments:     Todays birding was part of a Shorebird workshop presented by
Delta Wind birds. Classroom sessions were held at the Wastewater plant
operations center classroom. Weather was more or less lousey. The canopy tents
we brought for sun shade ended up being used for protection from the on and off
rain. Temps wee a humid low 80's completely overcast with intermittant light
rain. Jason Hoeksema, Gene Knight, J.R. Rigby and Wayne Patterson came up from
Mississippi (which is the direction the rain came from) for the in class and
field presentations. Assisting in the field were local birders Mike Todd and
Jay Walko from TOS.  Birds were plentiful but scattered. Good close looks at
all the Peep Sandpipers.
Additional birders Rob Harbin, Georges Mcneil, Martha Waldron, Gaynell Perry,
Judy Dorsey, Chris Welsh, Cloe Walker(ABA Young Birder of the Year) and 31
others.
38 species
Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  148     The adults were really showing up today,
six broods of totaling 46 young ranging in 2 day old zebra striped chicks to
first time flyers who were seen several times taking laps around the complex.
Greater White-fronted Goose  1     This bird who has been finally abadoned by
its friends just this past week has an injured wing and has been here since
spring.
Canada Goose  2
Wood Duck  3
Mallard  17
Blue-winged Teal  4
Canvasback  1     This bird is injured and has been here for several weeks now
hanging out with the other ducks.
Little Blue Heron  1     Wht morph seen early morn pit 4 & 5 tree line
Green Heron  4
Mississippi Kite  1
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  1
Black-necked Stilt  3
Semipalmated Plover  5
Killdeer  175
Spotted Sandpiper  2
Solitary Sandpiper  7
Lesser Yellowlegs  14
Stilt Sandpiper  6
Baird's Sandpiper  1     Seen early pit 5
Least Sandpiper  1750     Made up the majority of the population of todays
shorebirds.
Pectoral Sandpiper  50
Semipalmated Sandpiper  140
Western Sandpiper  5
Short-billed Dowitcher  1     Nice juvenile hanging with L Yel Legs and Stilt
Sandpipers
Least Tern  2
Black Tern  8     Close in flybys for good looks.
Mourning Dove  12
American Kestrel  1
Northern Rough-winged Swallow  2
Purple Martin  1
Barn Swallow  4
Carolina Wren  1
Northern Mockingbird  2
European Starling  1250     Young and adult birds everywhere in the wastewater
complex, this may be a low est count as big as the flocks were.
Field Sparrow  3
Indigo Bunting  4
Dickcissel  2
View this checklist online at

Allen Fossil (Steam) Plant ash ponds, Shelby, US-TN
Aug 30, 2014 12:45 PM - 1:05 PM
Protocol: Traveling
0.25 mile(s)
Comments:     Quick stop by several of the birders during our Delta Windbirds
Shorebird Workshop. Mike Todd, Jason Hoeksema, Rob Harbin and Georges Mcneil.
Others may have come up to see at other time during the day.
13 species
Canada Goose  27
Mallard  29
Northern Shoveler  6
Great Blue Heron  2
Green Heron  1
American Avocet  1     Single bird seen also earlier at 730 am today on the
North side of the north shoreline and then on the mudflat shallows.
Killdeer  12
Greater Yellowlegs  1
Least Sandpiper  350     350+ birds on the mudflat.
Pectoral Sandpiper  4
Least Tern  13     Adults and juvs resting and feeding.
Mourning Dove  6
Belted Kingfisher  1
View this checklist online at

John "Jay" Walko