[TN-Bird] Sightings Report 9 May09 Ensly Bottoms and SW Memphis, Shelby Cty

  • From: "John Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'richard preston'" <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 May 2009 22:45:13 -0500

N.A. Migration Spring Count held today in Shelby County.
Here are the highlights of my covered section in SW Memphis.

 A Major storm front came through just before dawn today and lasted well
into the early dawn hours. Was thinking real hard on whether to go or not
since the forecast and the cloud cover said more was on the way. Birded
through the on/off drizzle. Was hoping for more birds that I had seen
earlier in the week in this area but the storm must have sent many packing
for better climes or decent cover.

Location:     TN 2 Mem, Riverport Rd Ponds / Swamp

Observation date:     5/9/09

Notes:     Spent more time than I would normally do here on this stretch of
road, but knowing how muddy it would be at the pits I figured time would be
well spent. Have been waiting for the good numbers of Green herons to
finally show and today they did in the ponds and sloughs. Had 4 Baltimore
Orioles dueling it out on the singing platforms and then they started
chasing each other around. The one moment a movie camera would have come in
handy. 3.5 miles driven. 45 Min

Number of species:     30

Canada Goose     6

Wood Duck     1

Mallard     2

Blue-winged Teal     1

Great Blue Heron     1

Great Egret     8

Green Heron     9

Red-shouldered Hawk     1

Mourning Dove     26

Belted Kingfisher     1

Downy Woodpecker     1

Eastern Kingbird     3

White-eyed Vireo     3

Barn Swallow     4

Carolina Wren     5

Eastern Bluebird     6

Northern Mockingbird     2

Brown Thrasher     1

European Starling     35

Prothonotary Warbler     2

Common Yellowthroat     3

Eastern Towhee     1

Northern Cardinal     12

Indigo Bunting     7

Red-winged Blackbird     21

Eastern Meadowlark     1

Common Grackle     3

Brown-headed Cowbird     6

Baltimore Oriole     5

House Sparrow     1

Location:     TN 2 Mem,TVA PONDS

Observation date:     5/9/09

Notes:     Just as I put the car in park and set the scope up three ducks
came in over my left side. Black-bellied Whistling Ducks have returned.
Seems these three like this time of day over here since it looks like the
same three from thursday. If part of the bigger family of 7 that was seen
earlier in the week they have to be somewhere in the bottoms. Same six L
Scaup here on the big lake just as thursday was. Drizzle constant at this
time. 11-1115(15min), .5 mile drive.

Number of species:     12

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck     3

Mallard     3

Lesser Scaup     6

Double-crested Cormorant     2

Killdeer     3

Mourning Dove     7

Eastern Kingbird     2

Barn Swallow     3

Northern Mockingbird     1

European Starling     12

Red-winged Blackbird     9

Eastern Meadowlark     1

Location:     TN 2 Mem, Maxson Wastewater Lagoons(The Pits)/Earth Complex

Observation date:     5/9/09

Notes:     Terrible weather this morn to start with drizzle and started to
clear just as I had to leave to go to a graduation. Black-necked Stilts
scattered throughout the area in ones and twos several sitting on nests.
Lots of Killdeer everywhere, some I think have set nests on the gravel
roads/trails again this year (broken wing act several times seen).Yellow Leg
numbers down from earlier in the week but a large number of Least Sandpipers
were in the big central wetland area. Bluewing Teal hanging out with the N
Shovelers and Mallards all surrounded by the geese who command the high
ground of the grassy levee's. RW Blackbirds and Dickcissels singing up a
storm. Two Bobwhite were dueling it out singing wise got photos of the one
who commanded the high ground. Difficult day for birding since I couldn't
take the van where I normally would go since this weeks constant rain has
made lots of mud of the surrounding lagoon levees. Did do some hiking though
and by time I was finished I had ten pound boots. To say the least I missed
visiting about 50% of my intended area to bird. Some drying weather would do
nicely. 3.5miles driven, .5mile Hike, 1115a-1230p

Number of species:     25

Canada Goose     39

Wood Duck     1

Mallard     21