[TN-Bird] Sightings Report, 17 May, 2015, NE Collierville Area, Shelby

  • From: John Walko <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tn-Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dick Preston <dickpreston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rob Harbin <pastor.flc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2015 21:24:10 -0500

Wolf River Environmental Restoration Greenway Trail System, Shelby, US-TN
May 17, 2015 9:50 AM - 12:30 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments: Morning alk/drive on the NE sector of the area. As I entered the
gravel drive I car birded the grasslands in the distance I saw movement another
birder? Sort of, a Turkey Hunter setting up a full fan gobbler in the field.
Don't really know if they (I saw a second gunner with him latter) were on the
little 27 acre private property(Simmons Land Trust) or cheating a bit. Saw them
later as i was birding the trail and grassland prarie on my side of the
property. They were about 300 yds out from me, but the decoy and their
cornstalk camo gave them away. After they saw me hiking around the scrub I
think they gave up. I think as a jesture to me they unloaded their chambered
rounds by firing them off. As far as birds go, nothing of great note, no
turkeys seen or heard either.
32 species
Canada Goose 2
Great Blue Heron 2
Black Vulture 2
Turkey Vulture 3
Mourning Dove 1
Yellow-billed Cuckoo 2 Pair seen together.
Chimney Swift 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
White-eyed Vireo 5
Yellow-throated Vireo 3
Red-eyed Vireo 2
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 1
Gray Catbird 1
Northern Mockingbird 3
Prothonotary Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 2
Prairie Warbler 3 Once again saw several as they nest in this area.
Yellow-breasted Chat 7
Eastern Towhee 1
Field Sparrow 1
Summer Tanager 1
Northern Cardinal 1
Blue Grosbeak 4
Indigo Bunting 27
Red-winged Blackbird 1
Eastern Meadowlark 2
Common Grackle 2
Brown-headed Cowbird 1
Orchard Oriole 3
American Goldfinch 7
View this checklist online at

Peterson Lake Nature Center, Collierville, Shelby, US-TN
May 17, 2015 5:40 PM - 8:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
2.5 mile(s)
Comments: Walked the 1.5 mile boardwalk and then drove the parking lots of
the entire park . Nothing notable. Overcst a little rain and gone, slight
breeze. lots of people on the boardwalk.
27 species
Mallard 6
Great Blue Heron 1
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Killdeer 1 over on the baseball fields
Chimney Swift 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 2
White-eyed Vireo 5
Red-eyed Vireo 4
Blue Jay 3
American Crow 7
Tufted Titmouse 9
Carolina Wren 3
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2 Fling into a tree they have a nice nest in a
thick Y of a shady tree.
Eastern Bluebird 1
American Robin 12
Gray Catbird 1