[TN-Bird] Sightings Report 1 Apr 07, Ensley Bottoms Area, Memphis, Shelby County

  • From: "John Walko" <walko@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Rob Peeples'" <wpeeples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 22:58:05 -0500

Sightings Report 1 Apr 07, Ensley Bottoms Area, Memphis, Shelby County
Location:     TN 2 Mem,TVA PONDS

Observation date:     4/1/07,450-515pm

Notes:     Late afternoon romp in the bottoms. Nothing impressive except
seeing my FOS Barn Swallows back in town.

Number of species:     12

Mallard     2

Lesser Scaup     33

Pied-billed Grebe     2

American Coot     57

Killdeer     2

Mourning Dove     3

Barn Swallow     2

American Robin     5

European Starling     27

Red-winged Blackbird     17

Eastern Meadowlark     1

Brown-headed Cowbird     35

Location:     TN 2 Mem, TE Maxwell Lagoons

Observation date:     4/1/07,515-655pm

Notes:     Pretty good day down at the pits. Sun was going down so was not
able to scan the newly dug depressions very well for the small birds.
Waterfowl were easy to see. As I was driving the levee at pit #4 there was
some movement ahead of me in the ditch on the west side of the levee. After
stopping and scanning, a Killdeer was prowling down below, I got out and
started to walk the edgeline and immediatley the Killdeer and two(2) Wilson
Snipe exploded out of the shallow water ditch. Short look at the long bill
and the stripes seen in flight on its back as they banked for a landing
about 50yds away lost them in the depressions. Pit #5 (Lg Lagoon) proved to
be the haven today back in the back SE corner where the grass islands and
downed timber makes for some shallow open water. Most of the BW Teal, yellow
legs seen here along with the 5 Black-necked Stilts. Solitary Sandpipers
were doing what they were named for, feeding alone.

Number of species:     21

Canada Goose     45

Mallard     4

Blue-winged Teal     40