[TN-Bird] Shorebirds and Nestings / Shelby Co.

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 05:45:23 EDT

July 8, 2006
Shelby Co. TN

Shorebird numbers increase everyday with Spotted Sandpiper added Sunday,
bringing the season total to 10 species. Of the 31 traveling Black-necked
Stilts
found in a tight group on Saturday there were 21 left Sunday morning with
none  of the 3 pairs still in the group. I suspect that these had left the
group
and  were thinking about nesting as I saw a pair copulate in a distant pit and
 another pair randomly tossing material as if deciding where to locate a nest
 site. The two Black-necked Stilt nests, located to the west of  the pits in
the spread fields, have still evaded being detected by the  coyotes or coons.
Such courage deserves good luck.............

Song Sparrows and House Finches were feeding young at Ensley and a ratty
looking male Painted Bunting was singing a half-hearted song in the heat of the

mid-day sun on Sunday.

I saw an independent young of the year, Western Kingbird, along the road in
front of the Allen Steam Plant and an adult carrying food in Frayser. On
President's Island, Big Daddy Scissor-tailed Flycatcher is still feeding their
three youngsters which are just starting to attempt flycatching for themselves,

while mom is sitting on her new nest. In Frayser, the female there is sitting
 tight on her nest while the male was not seen over the weekend.

An unexpected Osprey soared over the south end of Eagle Lake Refuge on
Sunday and an immature Cooper's Hawk was photographed flying over the tower
there
on Saturday. I've saw two Broad-winged Hawks, both immature birds, over
Memphis this weekend along with the expected Red-tails and Red-shouldered.
There
is practically no place in or around Memphis that you can go now and not  see
Eurasian Collared Doves or Mississippi Kites.
Good Birding  !!!

Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135