[TN-Bird] Shorebirds, Truly Wind Birds this Weekend

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: missbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, ARBIRD-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:20:24 EST

March 11-12, 2006
TN-MS-AR

They are back!!!

The wind blew with a vengeance Saturday morning, the flat fields in
Crittenden Co, AR offered no resistance. These fields have been so dry this
winter,
that most have already been rolled and disked. Taking advantage of  the south
wind that was up and running all weekend, were the true Wind Birds,  Golden
Plovers, on time, sleek and speed ready. I had thought I had seen two  last
weekend but they sped straight away never turning but Saturday I had 4  flights
with 12 to 45 birds come into small wet areas, turning into the  wind and
making
nervous runs going far with the wind, then coming in, almost  landing before
making another long run before finally settling like gun shy  ducks. There were
larger flocks of Pectoral Sandpipers flying closer to the  ground making
similar passes, looking like swarms of insects being blown  randomly by the
relentless wind. I found a few hundred Pectorals, a couple of  dozen Least
Sandpipers, 5 Dunlin, and 7 Baird's Sandpipers in the wet hole that  held a
record
number of Baird's for weeks last spring. Also making  themselves know with
strident cries were 4 Greater Yellowlegs and 7 Lesser  Yellowlegs. Some
killdeer are
already on scrapes while others are still going  through the ritual stop and
go tango of love.

At Eagle Lake, in Shelby Co, TN, on Saturday afternoon, there were only 2
Greater Yellowlegs and one wandering Wilson's Snipe looking for its mud sucking

kin.

Sunday, I was joined by Pat Valentik, passing through from AR, birding his
way to the east coast. We traveled back to the AR fields and pretty much had
the  same species. They were also just passing through but on a different
compass heading, north to the tundra. The now more numerous Golden Plovers were

spending little time on the ground and there were fewer of the small stuff.
Ducks were mucking around in all the small flooded areas and we tallied my
first
of season Blue-winged Teal, along with Mallard, Gadwall, Green-winged Teal,
Shoveler, Pintail and Wigeon.

Down in Tunica Co, MS, we found more and more Golden Plovers, totaling
several hundred through the day; one flight numbering over 150, these were
staying
longer and some were feeding. It seems, Saturday was the big traveling  day
and Sunday, the day to stoke the furnaces. We found many more Pectoral
Sandpipers than were seen on Saturday plus Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and a
sprinkling of Least and Wilson's Snipe but the best early birds were a small
flight of four Stilt Sandpipers.

Total Wind Bird species for the weekend, only Ten, but think what's  coming!!

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135