[TN-Bird] Shorebirds & Terns - Marbled Godwit!

  • From: "Mark Greene" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "greenesnake@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: TN-Birds Bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2014 14:14:41 -0700

I've been out and about in a few places around Gibson County in the last week
or so. Here's a quick rundown of some of the places and goodies found at each:

August 28, Gibson County Lake:
Caspian Tern - 2

September 3, Middle Fork Forked Deer River Bottoms, Windy City Road, Gibson
County (just south of Humboldt) - flooded soybean field:
Blue-winged Teal - 8
Great Egret - 28
MS Kite - 1
Baird's Sandpiper - 6
Pectoral Sandpiper - 16
Black Tern - 19

September 4, Mt. Orange, Gibson County:
Upland Sandpiper - 1

September 5, Gibson County Lake:
Forster's Tern - 1

September 5, Middle Fork Forked Deer River Bottoms, Windy City Road, Gibson
County (just south of Humboldt) - flooded soybean field:
Blue-winged Teal - 20
Pied-billed Grebe - 12
Little Blue Heron - 1
Great Egret - 32
Spotted SP - 1
Solitary SP - 1
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Lesser Yellowlegs - 6
MARBLED GODWIT - 1 - bird was on the far east side of the water in the edge of
the flooded soybeans with the Blue-winged Teal. It got up and flew around for a
couple of minutes, landed with the ducks again and went to sleep. 2nd Gibson
County record. Mike Todd had the first at Ed Davis Fish Farms on 19 April 2008.
Stilt SP - 1
Pectoral SP - 8
Black Tern - 5

The shorebirds here are hard to see as they are in the soybean stubble mostly
on the far east side of the water. They do move around a lot. The water had
dropped since Wednesday so if some mudflats appear it might get easier to see
the birds. I probably won't get a chance to check it again until Monday.

Good birding!

Mark Greene
Trenton, TN
Gibson County