[TN-Bird] Re: Shorebird I.D.

  • From: kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: fndrbndr59 <fndrbndr59@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2015 19:38:35 -0400 (EDT)

The birds in the first photo (with 3 birds) are Pectoral Sandpipers. ID
points are shape, sharp demarcation between streaks on breast and white
belly, and (on nearest bird) two colored bill with orange at the base.
Two are juveniles with bright buffy orange feather edges on the back and
white V down the back. Third bird (on right at top) is blurry but looks
more ragged and dull... possibly an adult.

Second photo is a Solitary Sandpiper. Note the white spectacles.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN

On Thu, 6 Aug 2015, fndrbndr59 wrote:

8-4-15
Duck Rivet Unit/ Pool 1
Humphreys Co.

First, thank you all for the help identifying the juvenile red-shouldered
hawk and my apologies for the incorrect post. I'm new to shore birds and
could use a little help identifying these.Thanks for any help.

                                   Justin Nation
                                   Lebanon, TN

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S? III, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone