[TN-Bird] Shelby Park and Bottoms, Nashville, TN - Black-billed Cuckoo

  • From: Michael Smith <ms722@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 2014 11:44:34 -0700 (PDT)

May 2, 2014
Shelby Park and Bottoms
Davidson Co.

Things were really hopping this morning at Shelby Park and Bottoms.  I birded
throughout the park including Mission Hill as well as Phase 1 and 3 of the
Bottoms.  I ended up with 86 species.  Highlights included 2 Black-billed
Cuckoos in Phase 3 (near the bridge over Cooper's Creek), 6 Great Egrets, and 1
Golden-winged Warbler.  At one point I had Baltimore Oriole, Rose-breasted
Grosbeak, and Warbling Vireo in the same binocular view.  Nice to see migration
in full swing; complete list below:

Canada Goose  3
Mallard  8
Blue-winged Teal  8
Double-crested Cormorant  4
Great Blue Heron  2
Great Egret  6 - Found in the pond on the east side of the runway at the former
airpark
Black Vulture  1
Turkey Vulture  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1
Red-tailed Hawk  3
Killdeer  2
Spotted Sandpiper  1
Mourning Dove  6
Black-billed Cuckoo  2  - Heard and seen in Phase 3 of Shelby Bottoms; dark
bill, red orbital ring. While observing the first bird, a second bird sang from
behind me.
Chimney Swift  17
Belted Kingfisher  1
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1