[TN-Bird] Shelby Farms 4 Species of Geese

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 19:21:40 EST

Feb. 5-6, 2004
Shelby Farms
Shelby Co. TN

I went through Shelby Farms in the rain on Thursday and was just in time to
see a lot of waterfowl dropping into one wetland area. First scan produced a
lot of Canada Geese with 7 Richardson's type, 7 Greater White-fronted Geese, a
single Ross's. While scanning the ducks I heard a Snow Goose call and looked up
to see a single Snow and a single Blue Goose dropping out of the gray skies.
The duck species present were; Mallard, Pintail, Shoveler, Gadwall, Wigeon,
and a pair of Hooded Mergs. Ten species of waterfowl in a 10 minute drive by
was
a nice break in a work day.

I went back by today and most of the species had moved on but the
Richardson's were still there plus another tiny Canada that I got a poor photo
of feeding
with a Gadwall, THEY were the same size. Two Greater White-fronted were still
in the mix.

Driving a back gravel road, I flushed a Sharp-shinned Hawk which dropped to
stubble height and streaked across an open field. It stirred up a flock of
Horned Larks which took flight and finally settled near my truck. I counted 36
larks and a single male Lapland Longspur. He was certainly the dapper dan in
this
group as his spring plumage is wearing in.

It is amazing how any trip I take from one place to another some how leads
past a good birding spot;o)

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA