[TN-Bird] Shelby Bottoms Great Horned Owl

  • From: Oeserscave@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2005 16:15:46 EST

Today at noon I spotted a Great Horned Owl in Shelby Park near Shelby Bottoms
trailhead.  My daughter wanted to stop at the playground and check it out
while we were riding our bikes, so we stopped and played around.  I noticed a
strange shape against a large tree limb, and when I checked it through my
binoculars, a Great Horned Owl appeared.  In case it sticks around until dark,
here
are directions to it once in Shelby Park (Nashville).  Go to the Shelby Bottoms
parking loop area, but instead of pulling into the bottoms lot, look opposite
the train trestle to a creek running between the ballfields across the field
and smaller road loop.  There is a red and green playground on the left, not
far from a bridge on the main road.  From the playground look above the swings
in front of the creek.  The owl was on a large sloping tree limb, and as we
approached, he just crouched against it more.  He is easily spotted from the
playground.

Ken Oeser
Hendersonville, TN