[tn-bird] Re: Sharp's Ridge towers

  • From: K Dean EDWARDS <kde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:55:39 -0500 (EST)

Hey Tony,

I had read about the new towers in the Knoxville newspaper
last week.  They are at least being smart about the way they
are doing this.  The new towers are the result of the FCC's
requirement that all local television stations convert from
analog to digital broadcast.  The new tower on Sharp's Ridge
will actually service three local channels (ABC, NBC and FOX)
whereas currently all three have their own tower.  The second
tower will service CBS and one other (either WB or PBS).

The real question is what will happen to the old towers once
the stations have converted to digital broadcast?  I believe
that for some period of time, the stations will broadcast in
both digital and analog but that at some point in the future
they will no longer broadcast in analog.  So in 10 years or
so, they SHOULD tear down the old ones.  Of course I don't
expect that to happen... WBIR moved their broadcast point
from a tower in Grainger Co. to Sharp's Ridge 15-20 years
ago but the old tower is still up and used as a "backup"
should something happen to the new one.

Dean Edwards
Knoxville, TN
kde@xxxxxxx