[TN-Bird] Sharp's Ridge Migrants: 4 May 2013

  • From: Mark Labig <marklabig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 May 2013 14:33:47 -0400

I went to Sharp's Ridge this morning not expecting much activity, but it
turned out to be a productive morning with some of the best looks I've had
at most of the migrants observed. Several birders turned out and were
pleasantly surprised with some up close and personal face time with the
following notables (others' lists may vary as the groups broke into smaller
subgroups moving in all directions):

Baltimore Oriole (2)
Blue-winged Warbler  (1-2)
Blackburnian Warbler (1-2) (showed up at the same time and same place as
the Blue-winged, several feet apart)
Black-and-white Warbler (1) (heard only)
Nashville Warbler (1-2)
Hooded Warbler (1)
American Redstart (1) (heard only)
Cape May Warbler (2-3)
Cerulean Warbler (1) (heard only - once and never again)
Northern Parula (2)
Magnolia Warbler (1) (heard only; seen by another in our group)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (1)
Pine Warbler (1)
Yellow-rumpled Warbler (4)
Black-throated Green Warbler (6)
Scarlet Tanager (2)

At one point I thought I heard a Canada Warbler sing a few times, but by
the time I made it to the spot I did not hear it again. I joke at
times that if you have faith and show up, the weather will hold off and the
birds will come, too... I'm actually starting to believe it.

Mark Labig
Jefferson City, TN