[TN-Bird] Selasphorus, Redheads, Blue-headed Vireo / Carter Co.

  • From: Dnldhlt@xxxxxxx
  • To: bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:56:29 EST

Sunday, 15 FEB 2004
Elizabethton, TN and Wilbur Lake, Carter Co., TN
D. Holt

Dexter and Linda Newman and I got out early today to see the Selasphorus
hummingbird at Gary Wallace's house in Elizabethton.  Having repeatedly seen
how
easy it is for birders much more experienced and skilled than I to make huge
mistakes on hummer id's, I have no qualms about doing the same.  I think it is
an adult female Rufous, because the tail at rest barely projected beyond the
wingtips, and she sported two or three orangey red gorget feathers on her
otherwise clear white throat.

We also went to 'Wilbur Lake to check out the waterfowl.  The Redhead flock
has grown to nine (six males, three females).  There were also a male and two
female Gadwall, at least 17 Ring-necked Ducks, and the usual bountiful
Buffleheads.

Near the bridge at Wilbur Lake we found a mixed feeding flock with Carolina
Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, White-breasted Nuthatches, Golden-crowned Kinglets,
Ruby-crowned Kinglets, Brown Creepers, and one BLUE-HEADED VIREO that
investigated us closely for several minutes.  Later, below Wilbur Dam, we also
found
Carolina Wrens and Winter Wrens.

Thanks to the Newmans for taking me along on a rainy day to share in Nature's
blessings.

Don Holt
Johnson City, TN