[TN-Bird] Screaming Eagle

  • From: Charles Murray <dro_1945@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:53:13 -0700 (PDT)

I was sitting in my yard in Birchwood (Hamilton County) late this morning
watching a magnolia tree. The magnolia seed pods are just opening, and I was
trying to determine which species of thrush was eating the magnolia seeds. I
never reached a firm conclusion on that issue. Meanwhile, a pair of
red-shouldered hawks were calling while flying around over the area. Suddenly I
heard a call variation that I didn't recognize. Looking up against a clear blue
sky, I saw and heard a beautiful screaming adult bald eagle. I don't know if it
was "making a statement" to the two hawks or just enjoying the morning. My
property is about two miles - as the eagle flies -  from the Tennessee and
Hiwassee rivers, and I never remember having an eagle in the air over my home
before. Perhaps the eagle was migrating. I've only seen a few eagles in this
area in the past several weeks. I also saw one adult bald eagle at Yuchi Refuge
(Rhea County) last week. I only saw a couple
 of warbler species this morning, magnolia and probable chestnut-sided. A
number of robins were seen feeding on what I've heard identified as "fox
grapes." I have been asked by a couple of people if fox grapes are the same as
possum grapes. A Google search of two sources that seemed most likely to be
reliable gave opposite opinions. If the "authorities" don't agree, then I
certainly don't know!

Charles Murray
Birchwood, TN