[TN-Bird] Scissor-tailed Flycatchers nesting in Lawrence County, TN

  • From: tnbarredowl@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 22:28:40 -0400 (EDT)

This evening my family went to St. Joseph (southern Lawrence County, just north
of the state line) to have dinner at Miss Annie's Rustic Garden Restaurant.
After dinner, we were discussing the possibilities of traveling to Savannah
tomorrow afternoon to see the Scissor-tailed Flycatchers there.  I have been
wanting to take my dad there for some time and my son-in-law was interested in
seeing them also.  During our conversation, I noticed a bird land on a snag
just outside the restaurant.  The bird appeared to have a forked tail.  My
son-in-law and I went out to see the bird and sure enough, there sat an adult
male Scissor-tailed Flycatcher.  He flew to another perch and as we were
looking for him, we noticed a female Scissor-tailed sitting on the power line
above our head.  She had food in her beak.  We watched as she flew into a nest
to feed her young.  The nest is located on wires below three transformers on a
power pole in the restaurant parking lot.  As we were leaving the restaurant,
we noticed the male sitting on the fence across the highway (Hwy. 43) from the
restaurant.  I pulled into the shoulder and the male flew, giving my wife and
daughter good looks at the long forked tail.  Tomorrow, I am meeting my dad at
Miss Annie's and saving the trip to Savannah for another day.

Next time we go out to eat, I plan to discuss a trip to Arkansas to see
Ivory-billed Woodpeckers!

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL