[TN-Bird] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher - Memphis

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 23:47:34 EST

Oct. 31, 2004
Riverport Road
Shelby Co. TN

After being in Texas last weekend and seeing over 300 Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers on one short stretch of roadway and hundreds more spread all across
the
area, it was a real surprise to find one still left this far north. It seems
they have had an exceptional year and during the past week have been reported
all
across the eastern US.

While traveling to the pits down Riverport Road today, I looked up on a wire
and there sat an immature bird. I made a quick turn and pulled up and started
taking a few shots. A car pulled up and parked almost under the bird and a man
with field glasses got out. I thought he had seen the bird fly down and
walked over to his car. He was looking in the wrong direction and had not seen
the
bird flycatching down the levee just below us.

The guy was visiting Memphis from the University of Washington in Seattle and
was just out for a little eastern birding. The bird put on a show for us and
we continued down to TVA Lake and The Pits. A few Ring-necked Ducks had
dropped in overnight and the Snowy Egret had reappeared. While scanning we had
over
450 Greater White-fronted Geese and 205 Snow Geese pass over calling and
jostling for positions in skeins and arrowheads.

The flycatcher was still in the same area when I left later in the afternoon,
it is flycatching from both sides of the road at the first large open water
on the south side of the road as you go toward Ensley Bottoms.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA
Bartlett, TN