[TN-Bird] Scissor-tail/Kingbird Hybrid Nesting Update

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 08:05:25 EDT

June 9-10, 2007
Memphis, Shelby Co. TN

Here on the frontier of these two eastward expanding species, the mix and
match goes on and on...........

The hybrid Scissor-tail/Western Kingbird that is paired with a male
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher was feeding at least 3 young this weekend on
President's
Island. On Saturday, she was sitting on the nest early in the day  but acting
like a typical nervous mother, moving around and checking the eggs
continually.
Sunday, AM she was busily feeding the young but the normally  attentive male
was not seen during an hour and a half vigil. This is his 4th  year at this
location. Photo : _http://www.pbase.com/image/80335526_
(http://www.pbase.com/image/80335526)

One of the hybrid females, in North Memphis that is paired with a Western
Kingbird, was sitting tight on the nest Saturday but acting fidgety on  Sunday,
so young can be expected today, my guess. I located a second nest at  this
location but could not determine if it belonged to the second hybrid  female
that
attempted a nest earlier in May. It will be difficult to monitor as  it is
located in a restricted area but it can be seen with a scope. When young  are
being fed, I'll be able to determined the ancestry of this female. I saw at
least 3 more Western Kingbirds at this site plus the male attending the hybrid
on the occupied nest. This site, last year produced 5 hybrid young from an
apparent hybrid female and a Western Kingbird pairing. The two female hybrids
that showed up this year, appear to be from this last years' batch as the tails

match the photos taken of the young at that time.

The third site, east of there, where up to 5 Western Kingbirds have been
seen, yielded only one bird; I suspect the others are on or attending nests in
another restricted area that can only be seen with a scope.

I did not see the Ensley Bottoms, Western Kingbirds, this weekend  but that
pair is using a site that is even more remote on McKellar Lake but once  there
are young, the pair might become more active.

At the Mississippi site, on the DeSoto/Tunica Co, line just south of
Memphis, I found one Western Kingbird in Tunica Co, but did not see any
activity  at
the old nest site that they have used for the past few years. These  birds
have tended to nest later so I'll keep checking.

Good Birding  !!!
Jeff R. Wilson / TLBA
6298 Memphis-Arlington Road
Bartlett, TN  38135
http://www.pbase.com/ol_coot/
What is this feathered thing that  lifts my heart to the heavens.

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES