[TN-Bird] Scissor-Tailed FC Juvenile in Rutherford County, Middle Tenn

  • From: Jeff Cowell <jeff.cowell@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 16:28:08 -0500

 On Friday, June 3, at 4:00 p.m. I saw and photographed a juvenile
SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER on Florence Road in Rutherford County. Thisis the
same spot where Terry Witt found the mating pair last summer which produced
three young. This bird is likely one of last year'syoung. Terry also
recentlyreported LOGGERHEAD SHRIKE there and I wasfortunate to find a pair
ofthem in this same location. The STFC flewback and forth between two fields
on either side of the road,conveniently alighting on the wire fence at
eye-level for several minutes.
The location on Florence Road is about 1/8 mile north of the overpass
atI-840and just south of Heatherwood Drive.  From Nashville,take I-24 East.
Exit at Highway 96 exit 78B, cross over I-24, turn left  onto Thompson Lane
(at the McDonald's), go about 1.2 miles and turn left onto Manson Pike.
Continue on Manson Pike about two miles and turn
right onto Florence Road. In about 1/2 mile you'll cross over I-840 and see
the two fields. Park on the west side at the wide spots.