[TN-Bird] Sawwhets in Maryville

  • From: JGIOCOMO@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2003 23:32:45 EST

Another update...
Last night (Dec 26) we caught #22, #23 and #24 for the year, which changes
our goal of 20 Northern Saw-whet Owls for the season to 25 birds for the season
(were're not greedy).  We have not been setting up the nets regularly during
the last few weeks (due to weather and holidays), but we are still trying to go
3 netting nights in a row with nothing in our nets.  We thought we were done
a few weeks ago, but then we catch another bird which keeeps us going for a
while.

It seems the birds are at least still moving around (if they are not
migrating), because all three birds last night were new.  We have only
recaptured 3 of
our banded birds and we have no foreign (from a northern banding station)
recaptures so far.

Jim Giocomo
Knoxville, TN