[TN-Bird] Saw-whet banded in Blount County

  • From: JGIOCOMO@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 16:26:42 EST

Last night (Nov 14) our nets were opened for the first time this fall south
of Maryville, TN, a few miles east of Kyker Bottoms in Blount county.  At
around 7:30pm, Dan Kim and Jenny Fiedler caught and banded a female Saw-whet
Owl.
We usually check the nets periodically throughout the night, and they said
they heard the bird calling on the net check before the bird was caught.
They also caught an Eastern Screech Owl and a Flying Squirrel (which climbed
out of the net when they pulled the net tight).  They also heard a Barred Owl
in the area.

Since last fall we caught a total of 3 Saw-whets and 3 Screech Owls in this
area.

Jim Giocomo
Knoxville, TN