[TN-Bird] Saw-whet Owls

  • From: JGIOCOMO@xxxxxxx
  • To: TN-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2004 13:50:55 EST

Our netting season in started this week.  I was out Monday (Nov. 1) sweating
and getting mosquito bites.  Needless to say there was no activity that
night.  Tuesday and Wednesday rained, but with the rain came a nice cold
front.  By
Thursday night the rain stopped and the temperature dropped, but again no
Owls.
Last night (Nov 5) we set up expecting another zero, but at 20:30 EST we
caught our first Saw-whet. This is our earliest first capture date (Nov 22 in
2002
and Nov 11 in 2003).  Then we heard the Great-Horned Owls calling close by,
and we thought that was the end of our Saw-whet visitors for the night.  Our
last net check was going to be at 23:30, and I was looking forward to getting
some sleep.  Everytime I look forward to getting some sleep, we start catching
owls two at a time.  So we ended up with three for the night.

We moved our site away from the Smoky mountains (where there is a resident
breeding population) to a site closer to Knoxville, TN (my home). We are now
located in between Oak Ridge and Knoxville, Tennessee at the University of
Tennessee Forestry Experiment Station in Anderson County.

Jim Giocomo
Knoxville, TN