[TN-Bird] Savannah Sparrow in Sullivan Co.

  • From: "Wallace Coffey" <jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-birds" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 02:15:52 -0400

A Savannah Sparrow was found singing on territory Tuesday (6/28), establishing
a new breeding season species for Sullivan County in Northeast Tennessee.

Dave Worley and I discovered the bird singing from a fence post at 1620 ft.
elevation.  It is normally a higher elevation species during the breeding
season.

It is a rare summer species over most of our region.  It has expanded southward
through the mountains into Johnson Co. since 1991. There are a handfull of
records in Carter, Washington, Hawkins and Cocke counties.

Let's go birding......

Wallace Coffey
Bristol, TN