[tn-bird] Saturday in SW-TN.& Tunica Co. MS

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 02:11:34 EST

Chatters,

It is always nice to know where our visitors come from; I recently received
the following on three neck banded Snow Geese that I had found here along the
Mississippi. Searching the coordinates I found two of the birds (one Snow and
One Blue) were banded above the Arctic Circle in the Canadian Province of
Nunavut. They caught in Foxe Basin near Prince Charles Island some 2500 miles
to our north. Another Snow was banded just a few miles from Churchill in
Manitoba approximately 1500 miles to the north.

On Saturday (March 2), I birdied southwest TN and north Mississippi. I
searched for a Red-necked Grebe reported from the north end of Horn Lake
(Lakeview) in Mississippi just at the Tennessee line, without luck. I did
spent a great deal of time scanning and photographing a huge flock of mixed
scaup on TVA Lake in Ensley Bottoms. For those of you familiar with this
settling pond at the steam plant the water was almost completely covered by a
dense concentration of ducks. Ninety-nine percent were scaup with just one or
two each of another 4 species. Nothing interesting but the numbers. I had
Tree Swallows here and at Robco Lake where I also saw my first Purple Martins
and Forster's Terns for the year in TN. At Horn Lake these same three species
were seen again, through the rain that continued through most of the morning.

In Tunica County MS. I found only one small flock of 3000 Snow, Ross's and
Greater White-fronted Geese, one Common Ground Dove on Fish Lake Road,
Brewer's and Rusty Blackbirds in the wet fields along with the expected gull
and duck species. A single Dunlin, hundreds of Snipe and thousands of
Killdeer filled the short shorebird list. A few Pipits and Laps were ferreted
out but Horned Larks kept me busy as there were still many small flocks but a
lot are now paired up and displaying, nest building will start soon if not
already.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL' COOT / TLBA