[TN-Bird] Saturday NTOS Field Trip - Bark Camp Barrens WMA (Coffee County)

  • From: Jon Mann <dback_jon@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2006 10:53:51 -0700 (PDT)

This Saturday, June 3rd, the Nashville Chapter of TOS
will hold a field trip to Bark Camp Barrens WMA near
Manchester - the target is grassland birds,
specifically Tennessee's second largest breeding
population of Henslow's Sparrows.

We will meet at 7:00 am at the Adventure Science
Center in Nashville. (directions below).  For anyone
wishing to join us in Manchester, we will be arriving
at the "Barn" around 8:30 am (Directions below).

This field trip will last 3-4 hours, returning back to
Nashville around 2 pm.  There will be some walking
through grassy areas in the first part - long pants
and insect (tick) repellent is advised.  We will then
look for the Henslow's from a couple of roadside
locations.

We will eat lunch before returning to Nashville, so
pack a lunch.

Time permitting, if there is any interest, we will try
to locate one or more of the Scissor-tailed
Flycatchers in Rutherford County on the return trip.

Directions to Adventure Science Center:
From I-65:
Take Exit # 81, Wedgewood Avenue.
Left at bottom of ramp onto Wedgewood Avenue.
Go to your first main traffic light and turn right
onto 8th Ave.
Proceed to your next traffic light and turn right onto
Chestnut.
Cross the interstate overpass bridge and turn left
onto Ft. Negley Blvd.
Adventure Science Center will be on your right.

From I-40:
Take the 2nd and 4th Ave. Exit # 210C
Turn left onto 4th Avenue.
Turn right on Oak Street beside the City Cemetery
entrance.
Go about 500 yards and take a 90 degree turn to the
right and then immediately turn left onto Bass Street
Bass Street becomes Fort Negley Blvd.
Adventure Science Center will be on your left.

Bark Camp Barrens WMA directions:

From I-24:
Exit 114 (US 41).  Proceed South on US 41 approx 1
mile to Asbury Road.  Turn left on Asbury Road, follow
Asbury Road approx 3.5 miles to Warren Road.  Turn
left of Warren Road, barn /parking area is 1 mile
north, where Road makes 90 degree left turn.

If anyone is going to meet us there, please let me
know via email, or call me on my cell at 615-566-4380.

Jon Mann
Nashville, TN

                  EXCELLENT MAP RESOURCES