[TN-Bird] Sapsucker "holing" & Happy 2005

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2005 17:02:27 EST

Happy New Year Birders,
As I finish off my New Year's Day luncheon champagne here in the Charlotte
Park Section of West Nashville about four blocks east of the Cleece's Ferry
Boat
Ramp that is on the Cumberland River, I offer you a toast to a great 2005 and
a quick bird report.

My male yellow-bellied sapsucker was back sucking up some nice sap from the
holes he drilled in my holly bush/tree a couple of weeks ago.  Apparently, he
wasn't satisfied, because he went to work drilling some more holes.  It is
interesting to watch as he always starts a new "patch" from the bottom left,
drills across from left to right, moves up to start another row and does it
right
to left. At the end of that row, he goes up a row and starts off back from left
to right again.  He was definitely doing some New Year's Day "sap sucking,"
but he also took time to create a batch of new holes.

A little while after he left, I looked down into the holly from my bedroom
window only to see one of these damnable squirrels down there LICKING my
sapsucker's sap holes!!!!!!!!!!  I think it's time I hosted a "squirrel removal
squad
party" over here.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson