[TN-Bird] Sap-sippin' flicker + titmouse begger

  • From: Dthomp2669@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 15:13:24 EST

Greetings from the Charlotte Park section of West Nashville about four blocks
east of the Cumberland River's old Cleece's Ferry Landing in Davidson County.
For the past ten days, I have not seen the yellow bellied sapsucker that was
drilling "polka dots" on my holly tree trunk, but I really haven't been home
to check that much.  This morning, when I opened the drape in the bedroom to
look out and down on the holly trunk, the sapsucker was NOT there, but a
flicker
was "attached" to the trunk just "flicking" his tongue away at the
sapsucker's sap holes!  After I'd looked a moment, the flicker flew up to MORE
sap holes
in the water maple tree and resumed the tongue flicking routine.

Last time I reported on this, I think I mentioned that all kinds of other
birds are showing up to sample the sap from the holes the sapsucker has so
diligently drilled.  Maybe my "yb sap" has gotten tired of being taken for a
"sap"
for feeding the neighborhood for nothing in return and headed "outta here."
Hope not yet, and maybe not.  He was really getting gorgeous the last time I
saw
him.  As I said, I've been too busy this past week to do much looking out
THAT window for him.

Meanwhile, at least ONE titmouse has started sitting in the althea bush
"whining" for peanut butter when the mockingbirds are not around.  If they are
around "begging," the titmouse waits patiently until they are successful, then
comes in to feed after they have sated themselves.

Cheers & prayers,

Dee Thompson
Nashville, TN