[TN-Bird] Re: Sabine's Gull at South Holston Lake, TN / VA

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 09:06:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/7/2003 10:50:47 PM Central Standard Time,
jwcoffey@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
> The species is very in Virginia or Tennessee.  Its appearance here  may
> have
> been influenced by on going Atlantic Ocean storm activity.  Kenn Kaufman's,
> "Lives of North American Birds," states that each fall a few of these birds
> (mostly young) show up on interior lakes.

Congrats,

Indeed a rare treat and a great find. It is the season for these beauties and
everyone should be scanning open water with these birds in mind right now.
Over here in west TN and north Mississippi the dates run from Sept. 1st to Oct.
1st.  Glen Criswell once enjoyed 8 together on Island 13 on a mid September
day. Over in western Ark. at Millwood Lake where they have occurred almost
yearly over the years, most dates are grouped around Oct 1st, as I remember.

I spent the greater part of Sunday going in and out to overlooks along the
Mississippi River and scanning Reelfoot Lake just in case one of these had
snuck
in but the river has jumped up an amazing 16 feet this week up around
Reelfoot and 13 feet at Memphis erasing any sandbars on the river. It has been
roller coaster year on the river.

Dates for these birds over this way have been: Sept. 1-3-13-16-17 and Oct.1.
so now is the time to look for them.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA