[TN-Bird] Rutherford Co. - Cape May Warbler, etc.

  • From: Scott Somershoe <Scott.Somershoe@xxxxxx>
  • To: TN-Birds <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 17:29:57 +0000

I ended up spending a lot of time in the yard this morning (Smyrna, Rutherford
Co.) and had quite a good list of birds.  I had 38 species and an unidentified
Empidonax flycatcher (likely Willow/Alder).  That's not a super long list, but
for my humble suburban yard that I don't bird often, it was quite hopping.

Highlights:
at least 1 Cape May Warbler (seen first, later heard and seen chasing another
bird a couple times, which was likely another Cape May).  Third or 4th record
for my yard. I've had multiples a couple times in the past.
Both oriole species. One male Baltimore was flying over fairly high up.
Scarlet Tanager (one male and a female)
Eastern Wood-pewee
Rose-breasted grosbeak (2, both female)

Late morning I took the kiddo for a jog in the neighborhood and picked up a few
other goodies:
Blackpoll Warblers
numerous Tennessee's Warblers
Yellow and Nashville Warbler
and 8 different House Wrens

Eight species of warbler is not bad for not going to a birding hotspot today!

Yesterday I had a Warbling Vireo in my yard as well!

Here's my yard list via eBird's BirdLog NA App:
Apr 27, 2014 7:00 AM - 7:45 AM
Comments:     <br />Submitted from BirdLog NA for iOS, version 1.7.1
38 species (+1 other taxa)

Mourning Dove  2
Chimney Swift  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  1
Northern Flicker (Yellow-shafted)  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee  1
Empidonax sp.  1     Small dark headed empid with pale wing bars and light eye
ring. Silent. Gave impression of willow-alder.
Great Crested Flycatcher  1
White-eyed Vireo  1
Red-eyed Vireo  1
Blue Jay  2