[TN-Bird] Rusty Blackbirds Again

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 08:19:06 -0600

We had a flock of approximately 100 Rusty Blackbirds stop momentarily in our
yard this morning but they never came down from the trees to eat.  Mixed in
were a few Red-winged Blackbirds.  We've never had flocks of these blackbirds
before and they are beautiful.
We had quite a bit of snow here on the hill but the birds seem to have coped
very well.  Our Carolina Wrens have gotten their usual peanut butter energy
fixes at the log by our picture window and the Eastern Bluebirds snuggled down
in the box we have for them on the side of the garage.  Their early morning
appearance to drink at our heated water source and then sitting in the trees to
capture the heat of the sun sure help us begin the day with a smile.  In fact I
thought I could hear one of them singing a little song this morning that
sounded like: "I love snow, it makes me glow".  But I'm old so that may have
just been the ringing in my ears.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County