[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbirds are Tough

  • From: "Tommy Curtis" <tcbirdwatch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-Bird Post" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 09:01:21 -0600

Willie Three is definitely one tough little Rufous Hummingbird!  Saturday night
we had the most sustained high winds and torrential rainfall we’ve experienced
in the ten years since we bought this house.  For hours the wind rattled
windows and bent the trees over and the heavy rain pounded the house again and
again and concern for that little fellow sitting huddled somewhere was on our
minds all during those hours.  He must have found a good crevice or hole in a
tree or maybe have gone under our deck because I don’t think he could have
possibly stayed on a limb perch with the wind and rain.  With each of the
rufous hummers we’ve had staying in our yard we’ve wondered where they roosted
at night but have never been able to follow them as they left the feeders in
the evening.  We never looked for them after dark as we were afraid a light
shining on them might frighten them from their roost and then they’d be lost in
the dark and not know how to return.  Obviously they are wise enough to choose
a good place to spend the night and tough enough to make it through wind, rain,
and freezing temperatures.  We knew these facts but our relief at seeing him
come to the feeder in the semi-darkness Sunday morning brought a special joy
just to know he was alive and well.  He fed well all day and disappeared after
his 2:16 p.m. feeding so nothing seems to change his regular routine.  He has
made one tiny change by coming to the feeder with the heat lamp for his first
feeding of the day – we assume the light and heat make it attractive in the
cold and darkness - but after several drinks there he almost instantly appears
at the feeder on the other side of the house and continues his morning ritual.
Tomorrow will make 8 weeks since he surprised and delighted us when he appeared
at the feeder for the first time.  We are now beginning to wonder if like the
first Willie in 2004 he might spend the entire winter here.  We would really
like it if he stayed; even getting up before daylight to put out the feeders is
worth it just to see him and enjoy his beauty.

A lady from Memphis emailed to say she planned to come over after Christmas to
see him.  If you too want to visit, just email or call us at 615-215-1254 so we
can be home when you come.  All those who have visited, except for a man who
came too late in the evening when he had already gone to bed, have enjoyed
excellent views of him.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County