[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird in Spring Hill, TN

  • From: "Chris Sloan" <chris.sloan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2003 11:04:36 -0600

Yesterday (Oct. 25) Portia Macmillan and I banded a hatching-year male
Rufous Hummingbird in Spring Hill, Tennessee, which is in Maury County.
The bird was first detected yesterday morning at about 10:30, and, being
Hummer/Bird Study Group life members, the alert hosts immediately called
the Sargents.

There are at least three other _Selasphorus_ hummingbirds in TN & KY,
two of which are probably already banded.  One is in Warren County, KY,
where we recaptured a bird last winter that had previously been banded
in Georgia.  Another is in Farragut, TN and is likely the same bird that
has wintered in that yard for many years.  The other bird is also in the
Knoxville area.

At some point in the next couple of weeks, I will post a web site that
will track both banded and unbanded birds in TN & KY throughout the
winter.

Keep those feeders out!

Chris Sloan
Nashville, TN=20