[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 87

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 06:59:56 -0600

It is a mild, windy, rainy morning here but Willie still came to the
feeder at 6:09 a.m. while it was still pretty dark outside.  He's made
two more trips in 25 minutes and on all three visits so far he has been
sitting and drinking deeply.  We think our decision yesterday to stop
feeding the yard birds at the feeders on the same side of the house as
the sugar water feeder has really helped Willie.  The yard bird feeders
are about 30 feet from where Willie eats, but they kept flying back into
his sitting bushes and disturbing him - the male Cardinals in their
pursuit of females were particularly bothering him.  So we put out more
ground food at the other two sets of yard bird feeders and they moved
around back and let Willie have some peace and quiet.  In the 6 hours we
watched for him yesterday, he came 19 times to eat and on most visits
sat down and gave us good looks at him.  His molting is continuing with
some feathers on the right side of his gorget now in the dark red/purple
color and his head feathers are much more green and smooth than on
Friday.  He is still gorgeous sitting in the feeder light so early in
the morning.  If he does morph into the Green-backed as we hope, he'll
be so beautiful we won't know if we liked the "before" or "after" Willie
better.

Virginia will be posting about Willie for the next few days while I make
a banzai run to Minnesota.  She can't go because of health and work and
I can't stand reading about those Great Gray Owls any more - I have to
see them.  So I'm leaving after church tonight and hope by driving all
night I can be in owl country by tomorrow afternoon.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County