[TN-Bird] Rufous Hummingbird Day 28

  • From: eyesew@xxxxxxxxx (Virginia Curtis)
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 09:19:56 -0600

Sorry for the late post - we had guests sleeping in the email room who
just got awake.  We had freezing rain last night and a light snow so
there were two pairs of eyes anxiously watching the hummer feeder from
6:15 until 6:32 when he finally appeared.  After eating three lengthy
times, he had a mini-scare.  His favorite sitting place is a cedar bush
to the right of the feeder and a wrought iron candleholder about 4 feet
tall beside the bush.  When he went back to the candleholder for a few
seconds and then tried to leave, his left foot was stuck - remember the
tongue-on-the-pumphandle-experiences of years ago.  He finally freed
himself but is now scared of that bush and wrought iron as he must think
something grabbed him before.  But he is feeding regularly and the snow
background makes him even more beautiful.  Today is our 47th anniversary
and God could not have given us a better gift than this little jewel.

Tommy & Virginia Curtis
Smithville, TN
DeKalb County