[TN-Bird] Ruffed Grouse on Cherohala Skyway

  • From: "Ron Hoff" <aves7000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "TN-bird" <tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2014 22:36:19 -0400

TN-birders,

Sharon Bostick, Frank Bills, Dollyann, and I went up the Cherohala Skyway
(highway 165) in Monroe County this morning to try to find some birds. It was
nice and cool with the clouds moving through the area and we saw a nice
assortment of higher elevation species. On the way down, not far past the
turnoff for the Indian Boundary area, we found a female Ruffed Grouse perched
on the guardrail by the side of the road. She acted like she was frozen. We
stopped the car in the road to get a better look (not exactly the safest thing
one can do here) at this difficult-to-see species. Fortunately traffic was
light and we got crippling views. Some motorcycles came past, went around us,
and the grouse still stayed frozen on the guardrail. We figured there were
young birds around, and when the grouse finally flew off, there was at least 1
young bird with it. This was by far the best I have ever seen this species!
Awesome!

I love this stuff! Hope you enjoy the photo.

Ron Hoff & Dollyann Myers
Clinton, TN