[TN-Bird] Royal Tern-One last Katrina hold-over

  • From: tnbarredowl@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Sep 2005 16:49:23 -0400

Since I did such a poor job of planning my work schedule this week (my one trip
to Pickwick was today instead of Tuesday), I thought I would check the dam and
see if anything might still be lingering.  A quick look through the gulls
yielded two Laughing Gulls on the mooring cells, and a line of gulls on the
lake added 15 more.  I took a closer look at the mooring cells and immediately
picked up a smaller, slimmer tern amidst the Caspians.  The size, paler bill
color and white forehead/crown confirmed a new state bird for me, Royal Tern.
If I had only known the weather forecast a few weeks ago when I was planning my
work schedule!

Damien Simbeck
Killen, AL