[TN-Bird] Ross's Geese by the flock!

  • From: OLCOOT1@xxxxxxx
  • To: tn-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 07:37:19 EST

Jan. 23, 2004
Tunica Co. MS
25 miles below Memphis.

I took part of the day off to help Don McKee find a few birds for his
Mississippi Big Year. Q.B. Gray and I took him to all the little honey holes
and
treated him to, Lapland Longspurs, Western Meadowlarks, Woodcocks and a few
other
year birds including a Merlin that has been regular 3 of the last 4 years in
the same tree.

While we were picking through a large group of mixed geese and had come up
with a dozen Ross's in the flock, I heard the higher pitched calls of Ross's
geese and immediately recognized their fast wing beats. A flock of geese was
heading our way lickety-split. I yelled at them to get on the birds as they
circled about and eventually landed away from the large group we were scanning.

This flock contained 1 Blue and 2 white morph Snow Geese and 64 Ross's. On a
good day of hard scanning, when the area is full of hundreds of thousands of
Snow and Greater White-fronted Geese you can come up with from 2 to 300 Ross's.
I've seen as high as 28 in one group off to themselves but this is the
largest single flock I've seen.

It seems like only yesterday that we were rushing around to find the first of
this species here in the rice fields.

Good Birding!!!

Jeff R. Wilson
OL'COOT / TLBA